Saturday, April 16, 2005

Megrelian joke

Here's a joke I heard today about a guy from Samegrelo in western Georgia. It's often been said that Caucasian humor is really different from other humor... as in things that are funny here don't seem funny to westerners. I'll let you be the judge. In general I don't get jokes, and never remember a single one to tell either, so I'm a bad judge. This sounds kind of like the Polish jokes we used to tell in fifth grade, though none of us had ever known a Pole and none of our parents were racist, I don't know.

Here it goes:

Three guys are in prison under a cruel director, one is Russian, one Armenian, one Megrelian. The director says one day, whichever one of you can make this dog speak your language in a month, he can go free. If you fail, you have to die. To make it interesting the cruel prison director gives each man a bunch of food and wine to help try and train the dog.

The Russian coaxed and coaxed the dog for a month, giving it food. At the end of the month, the dog didn't speak a word of Russian. The Russian was executed.

The Armenian haggled the dog, tried to make deals trading food for words. In the end, the dog didn't speak a word of Armenian either. The Armenian was executed.

The Megrelian was so hungry, he feasted on all the food for a month, singing songs and watching the dog get thinner and thinner. He never gave a bite to the dog, but continued his feast for the whole month. When the director came finally and asked the dog if he spoke any Megrelian, the dog said, "give me something to eat!" in perfect Mingrelian!

The end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home