Privilege
My chanting friend Mamuka wants nothing more than to go abroad to get a better education. Recently his company endorsed him in an application to study business management in England because they need high level management people who are fluent in english language. His english is already quite good, his application included letters from his university professors, and from the hosting institution in England... all the appropriate documentation was properly prepared.
When he arrived at the Embassy for the second meeting with the Consulary, she said they could not offer him a visa. At the first visit, they asked him, ‘why aren’t you nervous?’ He said, what do I have to be nervous about? They’re just looking for people to be lying about wanting to go abroad.
At this meeting, Mamuka asked the Consulary what were the reasons for rejection, and she replied, ‘you know the reason for rejection.’ He replied, no I don’t, I have presented everything and more for the visa application. She said, ‘you are the reason. We don’t believe your application. We don’t believe you. You are the reason we’re not giving you an application, it’s that simple.’ And with that she stood up and screamed at him, ‘this conversation is over!’
Or so it was reported to me by Mamuka.
He further confided that this was more than just another rejection. With now a rejection from the United States and a second from England on his passport, it will be increasingly difficult for him to get any foreign visas. For the young and ambitious in Georgia, that means entrapment.
Mamuka is an example of hundreds if not thousands of young people here. They are educated, they’re looking for opportunities in the world, but they feel stuck here. There is hardly any legitimate business opportunities, unemployment is high, and even the top level management and banking jobs only bring in $300 a month which is enough to eat and support a small family, but not enough to rent an apartment or own a car.
Still, many get by, but how? People like Mamuka, hoping to work within the Bush endorsed new system of ‘democracy and free markets,’ are stuck. Speaking of Bush, he arrives May 10th, and the city looks great after the massive clean-up and painting job everyone has been doing for him... but.
Situations will improve I think, but that is how it is now. My friend is depressed, and what can I say to cheer him up? ‘You have an amazing cultural heritage, great music, art...’ He knows that already, but it lacks luster without the ability to feel like one can work and support oneself successfully. There is a feeling here that the world is happening and Georgia is missing it.
It makes me realize again and in yet another manner how privileged I am to have a US passport, and its strong economy. Mamuka is more qualified than I, but I’m the one here, not he there, is there a reason?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home