Back in Georgia!
January 7th
Christmas again!
Well, I had a very nice Christmas at home in Vermont with Mom and Andrew. I went to Orthodox services and sang Russian style chants. Later in the week, I said goodbye, and drove all the way to New Orleans with Wes, where we brought in the New Year.
But the Georgian Orthodox church is still on the Julian Calendar, so I flew over in time for Georgian Christmas and New Years as well. I'll be here for four months this time, until May 10th.
I had barely arrived, but Luarsab, Avto, and I made the incredible, snow-tire four wheel drive trek up to Zedazani Monastery, where Saint Ekvtime lived out his final days organizing the chants. We sang an all night service in the candlelit church, 11pm to 6am. Outside the fog held the night close. I crunched through the snow to the cliff edge a couple times during the night, trying to stay awake, and once I even braved a rickety ladder to get up on the old fort ruins, where there is a real drop-off into nothingness.
We chanted well, and enjoyed a break of fast with the other stalwarts at 6am, as we silently ate beef and liver, cheesebread, and wine. Hmmm.
New Years! Luarsab and I donned chokhas, our traditional outfits, and sang folksongs in some artcafe party. Later we went to the Donadze's place and stayed up until 2am singing and hanging out.
I have found an apartment finally, after days of searching. I'll move in soon, what a relief. More writing to come.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home