Thursday, January 26, 2006

Gas Out?

Well the gas pipelines coming into Georgia from Russia were blown up. And also the powerline. Everyone is blaming everyone, but I still have gas.

Power has been going in and out for the last couple of days, reminds me of Sighnaghi back in 2003. But this time, the whole city is dark, and that is kind of creepy. I look out my window, and the snow is glowing blue in the moonlight, but there are no electric lights to be seen, only the silhouette of the nearby church.

Shergil and Jonathan came into the city today though, and they said Sighnaghi has been out of gas for three days now. But I think folks in the countryside are better prepared for power outages than folks in the lesser cities, who don't have firewood or stoves.

I'm still trying to get myself settled here, I don't have too much energy to protest Russia's actions on energy. Most people in Georgia believe that Russian secret services blew up the gaslines, but then again, there have been some arguments suggesting that Georgia itself sabatoged the lines in order to further discredit Russia. I think that is kind of far-fetched. We're in the coldest weather seen in a long time, and snow expected for three days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home