Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tbilisi Demonstration














Link




Just a quick note to say that I've come back to the city to participate in an anti-Russian rally (take photos) in front of the Parliament building.





















People are definitely worried about their friends and family in the conflict zone. Reports of Russians bombing Tbilisi (or any real civilian positions) are false as far as I can tell. There has been a lot of discussion of that possibility however, and the fact that so many people came out for this protest is a striking example of the Georgian support for this administration, despite its flaws. I don't really imagine the Russians trying to occupy Tbilisi, though if they do, that will certainly be the catalyst to escape out the Lagodekhi border and into Azerbaijan.















The international pressure seems to have unified and focused, so I hope that Russia will back down. On the ground, The Russians have effective control of all of western Georgia, but I'm sure that Georgian paramilitary groups are fighting guerilla warfare. That is one the reasons that Russia claims they are still advancing, but is just an excuse for what seems to be a well planned invasion.

What "peace-keeping" force has 300 tanks and 10,000 troops "ready to go" on the border? Not to mention that this "peace-keeping" force has bombed more than 15 locations throughout the non-conflict zone, and taken over several cities of a sovereign nation outside the conflict zone. Not to sound like a Georgian national, but it's really way above and beyond.

One thing is clear: Russians mandate as "peace-keepers" has been revealed for what it really is. An occupation of separatist regions in Georgia in order to maintain the status quo of the frozen conflicts. These regions have been safe havens for criminals, and one might remember that last year enriched uranium was smuggled through South Ossetia.

Doing well, and staying in touch with all the relevant Embassy folks and good friends in Georgia. It's an exciting time to be here.

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh... So, the Ossetian situation is a politically intractable situation which was engineered by Russia? Who are the Ossetians? Are they really from there? What's going on?

Keep on blogging!

 
At August 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see you're writing and doing well... I assumed as much, but hadn't heard since your email Saturday. Stay safe, and keep us posted.

In other news, I actually stayed up all night yesterday drafting the papers that Georgia filed in the International Court of Justice today, filing a suit against Russia! It felt good to help, in a small way. Let's hope pressure from the Court has some diplomatic affect on Russia... Check out the press release here if you're interested: http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/140/14659.pdf

 
At August 13, 2008, Blogger John Ananda said...

Dan, you're amazing. The world needs more people like you. I'm forwarding to expats here....
=J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home