Tbilisi
Just to be safe, I came into the city on the 7am marshutka to get an Azeri visa from the Embassy. For those of you who know me, 7am is not usually in the calendar.
Waiting to get a couple passport photos taken, I sipped McDonald's coffee (the only place open at 8:30am) and plotted Tone 2 chant-melodies on a graph.
I waited three hours at the Azeri Embassy with some suspicious Europeans in Georgia for a "Christian camp" (no more details forthcoming no matter how friendly I was), and finally entered the Consulary. Come to find out that a single entry visa for an American costs $131 and I wouldn't be able to get it today anyway.
I think I'll stay and fight the Russians.
1 Comments:
Thanks for this, John. Another you might want to look at -
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2008/08/13/georgi19607.htm
HRW is the closest to 3rd party neutral I think one can find in the area, and this has eyewitness statements that indicate that Georgian soldiers entered Ossetian villages with the sole goal of removing weapons, not as the murdering beast that the Russian press is painting them to be.
Stay safe. Anna Furry sent me your blog link - it's so nice to hear from someone on the ground there. We're all hoping and praying that this ends soon
best,
Amanda
Post a Comment
<< Home