Saturday, April 11, 2009

Saakashvili wiser than his opponents

I think this speech indicates Saakashvili's increasing political maturity, though his tenure has been marked with a high level of rhetoric from the beginning. He knows how to inspire people, and he also knows how to piss people off. Historians won't call Saakashvili a diplomat with words.

In any case, as I wrote previously, I think ignoring the protests does little to help the current government, and it's encouraging to hear that Saakashvili is responding at least with a modicum of respect (citation):

“I want to tell those, who were rallying yesterday; opinion of each citizen is important for me; I take to heart the hardship of each of them, as well as their expectations,” Saakashvili said.

“Because of hardship and pessimism many of our citizens are angry and I want to tell you that I am also very angry, because of the economic and security problems that our country faces.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home