7:30pm Sunday
Strange to be in Tbilisi still... I keep going to bed every night thinking that I'm going to get the heck out of the city the following morning, but this is the third day straight that I've sat glued to the internet and television, addicted to the incoming reports and lethargic to remove myself.
We don't feel in danger here in Tbilisi, and this is the only place to really monitor all of the information and be in touch with friends and family both here and back in the States, so I feel this great lethargy holding me back from actually making a move.
There seems to be no indication that Russia has any intention of attacking Tbilisi, as the city is not actually very critical to a military campaign, only perhaps for a demoralizing or chaos-inducing gesture. There are reports of the airport being hit, but actually it is a military airplane factory that has been hit, and a couple of military installations around the city. Too close for comfort, but definitely not civilian targets.
So for the time being, I am still in Tbilisi, along with 1.5 million pissed off Georgians and internationals, glued to the reports, and watching to see what comes. If it really looks bad, trust me, I will ditch the internet and TV and head for safer zones. I'm not an ant waiting to be squished.
But I just wanted to reflect on this eerie calm, and the strange sense of helplessness and lethargy that overcomes one when there is so much destruction nearby, and we are powerless to stop it or help in any way.
More soon.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home